Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Poem on Mariage

I'm not much of a poet, wouldn't you know it? ;)
But anyways, here is my poor attempt at a poem...


Is it Just to Conform?

Everywhere you look, there they are
- Married couples all around us!
But should I follow in their footsteps?
Should I conform and marry as well?

Let's think about this,
What will marriage hold for me?
What will marriage hold for you?
Is it the same for all of us,
Or do we all do it to conform?

Love is a special thing, you must admit
It is patient, It is kind
Marriage is a different kind of love,
But will it last forever?
Will it stand the test against time?

Some marriages don't last,
Why go through all the trouble?
Why get married in the first place?
The future is uncertain,
I do not know what to do

Should I get married?
Do I weigh risks against rewards?
Marriage is great, but at the same time bad
So what do I do?
Do I conform?

Maybe I don't want to be like everyone else
Maybe I want to live life on my own,
But a life full of loneliness will be sad
Is it worth it to not have someone by your side?
Could I handle the isolation?
Could I handle the world by myself?

Marriage and love are both confusing,
I still don't understand them yet.
Marriage seems like a good thing,
But do I think that just because of what I see?
Those married couples, they're all around us.
They look happy enough, but what is it really like?

I know there is bad involved with marriage,
But after thinking about it one must see
- Marriage is a great thing!
Everything has it's downsides, this is no exception,
But imagine a life on your own,
With no one there for you...

Love is what makes the world go 'round,
It keeps us going and keeps us strong
With a friend by your side nothing is impossible,
So do these married couples actually have it figured out?
Are they actually not doing it just to conform?

Perhaps there is something to this marriage thing after all,
Maybe people don't do it to conform,
Maybe marriage is just easier and happier
So why wouldn't we all want this kind of life?
I guess we will all have to decide for ourselves one day...

4 comments:

  1. berg you were supposed to write a poem not a book ;) just kidding. its good. Your poem shows many of the views that I think Holden has about marriage.. like when you said

    "Maybe I don't want to be like everyone else
    Maybe I want to live life on my own,
    But a life full of loneliness will be sad"

    I think this sums up Holden's views rather well for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I was half asleep when I did this. Nothing rhymed, the number of lines per stanza wasn't consistent, and I had no idea what I was exactly supposed to write about. Oh well! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes i have to agree with eddie, your is kinda similar to mine, but the line that eddie pointed out I think those lines are the best line in your book

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea bergy your poem is really long haha
    but i think it comes from both holden's point of view and that other guys

    ReplyDelete