Sunday, November 1, 2009

First Impressions of Holden

After reading the first four chapter of "The Catcher in the Rye", it's still difficult for me to determine whether or not I like the main character Holden. I can relate to him a little bit in ways such as that we both seem to be very independent. Also, I tend to think about something else while talking with others about something which is a bad habit we both have. Holden seems to be a very unique individual, always doing things his way and he seems very apathetic most of the time. For example, he just doesn't apply himself in school and doesn't seem to care much about his future. However, he is able to apply himself when he wants to such as when he writes the composition for Stradlater or when he reads the book "Out of Africa". It seems like Holden just chooses not to care about things a majority of the time, but when he decides to care about something he can be pretty dedicated. Many people are like this though. Holden isn't much different from the rest of us, but he still is very strange in some ways. I can't quite put my finger on what makes him so different, but he definitely has something about him that makes him unique from any other character in books that I have read. After reading a little bit more maybe I will begin to understand him or get to like him a little more...

No comments:

Post a Comment